i got this idea from bianca (the friendly fig) and i thought i’d try it myself!! my ‘coffee dates’ will usually be posted the day i actually have the coffee, but finals are coming so this one is a day late.
this wednesday i had a soy toffee nut latte – it’s become my cold weather fave. the great thing about starbucks is that it’s easy to create vegan options!! also, this starbucks is actually a barnes and noble café, so it serves soup as well, and the option this week was vegan – harvest grain!!
today i’d like to share what i call ‘lazy broke girl hacks.’ i’m in college, so money and motivation can be hard to come by. hopefully this will help you in your times of need!!
1. always diy your nails. i do my own using fake nails from kiss (found at target and cvs) and cutting them into the desired shape and painting them myself. five bucks for a hundred of these, or fifty bucks at a salon? thought so. and the glue is cruelty free!
2. if you follow the above step, carry superglue, a nail file, and scissors at all times. this will ensure that if your nail breaks you’re prepared to keep it classy. (you may also want to carry black or clear polish in case you go mad from the inconvenience of long nails and remove them completely in a fit of rage. pro tip: wetnwild is cruelty free and costs less than a dollar.)
3. ask for gift cards at christmas and your birthday. preferably to starbucks and the nearest grocery store.
4. lift weights instead of doing cardio. it takes less time, it’s not boring, and you get to show off a bit for the wrestlers.
5. if your school or apartment complex has a complimentary gym, use it. religiously.
6. rice and oatmeal are your best friends. cheap, nonperishable, vegan food that you can make in the microwave? hell yes.
7. ask for food instead of gas money if you’re always the chauffeur. your friends won’t kill you or complain, and you won’t be a starving artist.
8. plato’s closet – enough said.
9. wear mostly black. everything will match, it will probably be cheaper, and you’ll always look stylish. let’s face it, it looks less sloppy to show up in black joggers and a black zip-up hoodie than your school’s sweatshirt and the grey senior sweats you live in during finals week.
10. sell everything you haven’t used in six months. not just clothes. mercari is my favorite selling app because you don’t have to guess at the shipping price and you get a preprinted label so you can avoid the hassle paying shipping at the post office and waiting to get paid as reimbursement.
college is crazy, and so is life sometimes. i use these hacks frequently and they’ve made the experience much better for me. let me know if you use any of these yourself or if you have any hacks of your own, and keep watch for more coffee dates in the future. here’s to an affordable, vegan christmas and a happy new year!!